Thursday, June 16, 2016

I want a Dad

"I want a Dad", a Dad?  "I want a Dad like all the other kids" came the assertive request from a little six year old girl. I can never forget it. It pierced me to the heart. Ever so often when I see moms struggle with guilt over overwhelming responsibilities I remember her pleading face and say a prayer for all those little girls (and boys) who never had a Dad, not even a Grandpa or Uncle.
No matter how we sacrifice, we can never be Dad. We show our kids how to be mothers, girls, friends, divas, but we can never be the Dad that teaches a girl how she needs to be respected and valued by men by the way Dad treats her mother; a Dad that teaches boys on how to man up and not run from responsibility. Dad, as well as Mom, is a job description. Take one out and you have a substantial deficit. Process the void.
Dad per Websters: an idealization of one's father often projected onto someone to whom one looks for guidance and protection.
Mom per Websters: maternal tenderness or affection.
It's Fathers Day. Are you a Dad?

No comments: