Thursday, May 12, 2016

depression or bipolar?

Have you ever been frustrated with another human being because they defied logic? My neighbor, a highly intelligent and accomplished lady, used to love to chitty chat on the porch with me. We reciprocated on projects, causes, yard work, maintenance items. The kids were welcome in either house for sleep overs, meals, birthday parties, etc. Eventually the visitation periods became shorter and the absences longer. She was avoiding me. I was very hurt and took it personal. Sometimes I pushed back. Respectfully we apologized to each other for misunderstandings, however, the roller coaster got so scary where we needed to part for the sake of my sanity. Months went by. I ran into her daughter at a store and inquired about my friend. She had been hospitalized and treated for bi-polar disorder. I was so deeply sorry that I expected her to be who she was unable to be... and kind of punished her for it. We don't know what we don't know.
(For the most part we know when we are being played and quit being a volunteer to cons we have insufficient history with.) How often are we unkind to someone who is not measuring up to our standards? Instead of justifying our attitude by playing God, Judge and Jury, maybe we could give someone the benefit of the doubt and give them a hands up.
If you have severe depression, contact the people on the link below. It was sent by a mom who suffered needlessly for a long time.

http://rehinge.com/contact/

No comments: