Thursday, February 2, 2012

time to select a camp

This site is about options for unsupported single moms they did not realize were available to them. When  the "Camp" subject comes up, the customary reply is "that would be great for them, for me, BUT it costs money I don't have".

When I got sick and tired of hearing camp stories from other kids while mine were holed up in a backyard of a "affordable" sitter I had a do or die moment. My kids will have a camp experience. They will develop relationships with other kids and positive adult role models and mentors. They will get third party insights they would not accept from their dinosaur mother (who was 32 at the time). They will appreciate the expeditionary learning period, now or later.

To pay for it I would work OT, get a 2nd/3rd job while they were gone, sell stuff we did not really need.

I never regretted it. It was hard for me. We did it. We always do. I had to also pay the sitter for the two weeks they were gone to hold their spot open when they got back.

OK, here is the deal 
  • Start at your local church and research Church Camp and scholarships. Some families contribute to funds that will allow underprivileged children to participate. 
  • The YMCA is taking applications and will bill on a sliding scale 
  • You have nothing to lose to call the owner or director of a camp and work out a plan with them.
Older, HS children can be working as Camp Counselors. Just a thought.

No comments: