Saturday, January 28, 2012

When less is more....

When my youngest turned seven I thought it was high time for responsibilities and we reviewed a list he could chose from. He looked at me and said NO. No? Why no? Because childhood is supposed to be a magical time, he replied. How old do you have to be to take on responsibilities? He said: how old was my older brother when he left home? 20. OK, when I am 20 I'll take responsibility.
I had way too many responsibilities when I was a child because my mother was in and out of hospitals.When she was home, I used that time to escape into our magical garden where there were always surprises of fruit ripening, flowers popping up, bees, fascinating bugs, feathered friends, and my cousins to play with. We'd go to the river or pond to swim or just watch the flag iris or water lilies bloom and dragon flies turn into fairies...
Over the years I see more and more moms with kids where the whole family is stressed out over, soccer, baseball, kung fu, chess, music, gymnastic,  Boy Scouts, what camp to pick, what must-have-gadget and game to get to be ahead of the Joneses. The robotic family?
Times have changed, however, kids still need down time and not be scheduled like adults.
Let them play and pretend. The less stuff they have the more they use the imagination. The more imagination they have the more they find ways to solve problems. As a mom I can tell you that if you make time to balance "work and play" you'll have many fond, funny memories. You also will be proud how their God-given personality and giftedness unfolds.

No comments: